Offices: Melbourne | Hobart | Sydney

switch university melbourne

“ Vision Consultants ”

Switch university Melbourne – VisionAUS

Switch University Melbourne

Life doesn’t always go as you thought it would. If you had your heart set on a course at an Australian university but have found that it doesn’t quite live up to your expectations, we can help you navigate the process of switching courses or universities.

Thinking about getting started? Get in touch with us today and we’ll be happy to advise you regarding what you will need to do to facilitate your transition.

Need to change course? We can help!:

Melbourne has a wide range of campuses and universities available in the metro area, so if you have found another institution you would like to study at, we can help facilitate a smooth transition to a new course.Whether you want to go to another Melbourne university or have found a course you would like to enroll in somewhere else in Australia, we can give you the advice you need to make sure that you are able to start your studies with as little fuss as possible. Rules around student visas can be quite complex, which is why we specialise in helping international students navigate the system for a better education experience. With us, your study options are limitless. If you’re ready to make a change, now is the time to act. 

A seamless switch for better study options — contact us today to find out more!

Know your obligations

What you need to do when you change your enrollment depends on the specifics of your student visa. It is up to you to know the conditions of your visa; we can make sure that you fully understand exactly what they are and what they mean for your transfer.

What do I need to know about my enrolment?

Do I need a new student visa when switching courses?

In most cases, no. If you want to switch to a new course that is at the same level (e.g. Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s, Diploma, etc.) at the university you currently study at, you do not need to apply for a new visa. The provider will let the government know about the switch and all you have to focus on is your study. 

There are two exceptions to this:

  • You intend to switch to a course that is a different level of qualification (e.g. a Bachelor’s Degree to a Diploma, or vice versa). This is because different degree levels may fall under a different visa subclass. This does not apply to students who are dropping down from a PhD to a Master’s degree. 
  • Your current visa is about to expire. In this case, you will need to apply for a student visa extension while your visa is still valid for study.

switch university in melbourne

Can I transfer from one university to another in Australia?

It is possible to transfer from your current university; however, you will need to complete at least six months of your main course in most cases and must seek permission from your education provider. 

Each university has different rules around transferring. You will need to first consult these to find out what your education provider’s transfer policy is and get in touch with the institution you plan to transfer to. You must also be accepted into a new course at an accredited institution before you can think about moving. 

Besides the rules of education providers, your new course must satisfy all the requirements of your student visa; otherwise you are at risk of cancellation. You may need to contact the Department of Home Affairs and provide an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) for all courses you intend to take while in Australia. Students can change or extend this in the future if needed.

What if my Melbourne university won’t let me change course?

If your Melbourne education provider does not approve of your transfer, there are still options that are available to you. Students can appeal the university’s decision internally first; if that does not work, you can also appeal to the Victorian Ombudsman or the Overseas Student Ombudsman. 

Not quite sure how to proceed with the appeal process? Having an expert on your side can make a huge difference and help ease the strain. We will support you during your change of universities and ensure that the switch is as seamless as possible. 

Make sure that you give yourself the best chance possible for your applications by getting expert advice. Call (03) 9939 0545

Get in touch!

Need help switching universities in Melbourne? Speak to one of our student visa experts today by calling (03) 9939 0545 or send us an email at

Melbourne students trust Vision Aus to effectively explain the process of changing courses and provide quality advice for all stages of their applications. Whatever help you need, we have an experienced immigration agent that will be happy to be of assistance to you.

Ready to start your next study journey? Give us a call or get in contact and we’ll be happy to help you go change universities!


Visit our office or simply send us an email anytime you want. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Level 5, 1 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne 3000
Call us
(03) 9939 0545
0433 161 786
Email us

    Yearning for Consultancy?

    You've come to the right place. Enter your details to get business inspiration, trending solutions and consulting tips delivered to your inbox.