Offices: Melbourne | Hobart | Sydney
“ Vision Consultants ”

Student Visa Extension Melbourne

Student Visa Extension Melbourne

Your learning journey doesn’t always turn out exactly as you envisioned it when you first filled out your student visa application. Whether you wish to go on to further study or need some extra time to complete your degree, we can help you secure a visa extension from the Department of Home Affairs to complete your education in Australia.

A Student visa (Subclass 500) allows you to live and learn in Australia for five years. However, you may require more time than that to make the most of your studies. We have helped countless people to extend their student visa applications and obtain a new visa to remain in the country.

Need to extend your student visa? We can help! Just get in touch with our Melbourne office at (03) 9939 0545 and we can sort out any issues!

What do I need to apply for a new student visa?:

The process will be the same as when you first applied for your visa in your home country; however, depending on the specifics of your new student visa, there may be some slight differences.

You will need to provide evidence of financial capacity (accomodation, tuition fees, living expenses, etc.), overseas student health cover (OSHC), and a few other documents to the Department of Home Affairs. Additionally you and anyone you bring with you (partners and children) will be subject to health examinations to ensure that you meet Australian health standards.

You will also need to provide evidence that relates to your study: a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) for all the courses you intend to take — or, if you are waiting on your research thesis to be marked, a letter from your educational provider. The exact evidence you will need to supply for your new visa application will depend on your individual case; if you need guidance, a Vision Aus migration agent will be happy to help.

When can I extend my student visa?

There are a number of circumstances where you may need to extend your student visa. These can include:

  • You’ve chosen a new course to study or have submitted a new research application
  • You’ve submitted a research thesis that will not be marked before your visa will expire
  • Your research candidature has been extended
  • Your course has been extended and your visa will expire before you finish it

For example, if you came here as an exchange student originally but would like to complete the rest of your education in Australia, it may be possible to submit a new visa application that will extend the duration of your studies. If you have completed a Bachelor’s Degree but would like to pursue a postgraduate course, we can help you navigate the system and successfully apply for your course.

How do I extend my student visa in Australia?

There is no process to automatically renew your current visa in Australia. Instead, you must reapply before your current visa expires or risk violating the terms of your visa.

You will need to apply for a new student visa to the Department of Home Affairs. You can apply both inside and outside Australia, though the visa processes will be different. If you are here when you lodge your new student visa application, you will likely be given a Bridging Visa A (BVA) that allows you to remain in the country while your visa status is considered. You will need a new Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) that shows your enrolment status and study load.

For more details, you can consult the Department of Home Affairs website or give our migration agents a call — we’ll be appy to explain the process to you step by step.

Need more time to complete your course? Give us a call at (03) 9939 0545!

How long can I stay in Australia after my student visa expires?

If you submit your new student visa application while in Australia, you will most likely be granted a bridging visa that will allow you to remain in the country during the process. If you are outside of Australia at the time, however, you will have to wait until your visa is approved to re-enter the country.

If your student visa has expired and you have not yet applied for a new one, you cannot remain in Australia for longer than 28 days after the expiration date.

The Australian government takes student visas quite seriously. If you violate this, you will not be able to make an application for an Australian visa — student or otherwise — for at least three years.

I want to stay for my graduation. What do I do?

If your visa expires before your graduation ceremony or before your final assessments/thesis have been marked, a student visa may not be suitable for your situation. A Visitor visa (Subclass 600) will allow you to live in the country legally while you wrap up your educational journey and finalise any matters.

When applying for this visa, it is important to have a letter from your education provider that has the date of graduation.

I want to stay in Australia after graduation. What do I do?

If you’ve gotten used to life in Australia and would like to remain here after you have concluded your course of study, there are a few options open to you.

  • If you have held a student visa in the last 6 months, you may be qualified for a Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485).
  • If you studied engineering, you could be eligible for a Skilled Recognition Graduate visa (Subclass 476).
  • If you would like to live in Australia in the long term, there are many visas that may be suitable for you. We can help find one that best fits your situation.

Not sure about your visa conditions? Give us a call today and we can provide expert advice!

Can I bring family members with me?

It is possible to bring immediate family members with you if you are studying in Australia. This includes your spouse or de facto partner and any dependent children either of you have.

Get in touch!

There’s a lot on the line when it comes to your student visa — make sure that you can navigate the system and get the best results. Our Melbourne team is here to help you with your student visa extension to ensure that all international students can have an enjoyable experience studying in Australia.

For more information, feel free to reach out and get in touch with a migration agent today! We’re always happy to consult.


Visit our office or simply send us an email anytime you want. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Level 5, 1 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne 3000
Call us
(03) 9939 0545
0433 161 786
Email us

    Yearning for Consultancy?

    You've come to the right place. Enter your details to get business inspiration, trending solutions and consulting tips delivered to your inbox.