Abolition & Replacement of Visa 457 with TSS Visa (sub-class 482) : Now What?
Those of you who are following the recent changes that are unfolding may be aware of the fact that from March, 2018 onwards, the Australian government has decided on to repeal and abolish 457 Visa. This will be replaced by the Sub-class 482 Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa.
What Does It Imply?
As of April of 2017, the 457 Visa has been abolished and a grace period was somewhat granted to current residents who were living under this category. But, since now March 2018 has begun, therefore new changes will imply and this means it will be permanently replaced by TSS Visa. It should also be noted that TSS visa comprises of 3 new categories:
- Short – term Stream, for those employers who seek to employ overseas workers temporarily. This stream has its own Short term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). It should also be noted that in this stream overseas employees can be sponsored for a maximum of two years.
- Medium – term Stream, for employees who are seeking overseas workers for a medium range of period, and this can be sponsored for a maximum of 4 years. This stream also has its own Medium and Long term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
- Labor Agreement Stream, for employers who seek overseas workers because their labor requirement has been unable to be met within Australia and therefore they are seeking overseas workers.
Requirements for new TSS Visa Streams:
The requirements that are going to be imposed from this March 2018, onwards can be:
- There has been a mandatory requirement added for the prospective applicants of the TSS stream to have at least 2 years of work experience in their skilled occupation.
- A police check from Australia and any other country of residence has to be acquired by the visa applicant.
GTE assessment will be conducted in some circumstances.
- Labor Market Testing may imply under some specific circumstances.
- Employers who are sourcing overseas workers for either of the short, medium or long term streams must meet the Australian labor market minimum salary requirements in part of also adhering to Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT).
- An employer is required to pay contribution to Skilling Australian Fund.
TSS Visa Caveats:
Visa Caveats refer to certain form of limitations that are imposed on visa requirements. Some of the main TSS Visa caveats are listed below:
- The sponsor should have to be located in a specific area/postcode.
- Applicant must have to be paid a higher minimum salary ($65000 or $80,000).
- The sponsoring organization must have at least a turnover (annual basis) of $1 million.
These are all of the requirements being imposed in the new TSS visa stream and they also imply to current visa 457 holders. Applicants, current or prospective must seek professional help in due course to get the best of this stream.
For further assistance or if you want one-on-one consultations our team of MARA registered experts is always there to guide you.
Phone: +614 3362 8844